Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Being the Parent

Here are two of the four pages of standards.

I have a 3.5 year old and an 8-month year old and we just got back from their fall  parent-teacher conferences.  I was impressed that my son’s teacher presented me with somewhat of a learner profile and an amazing portfolio of his work.  He learns best when the teacher uses games and when activities are done outside.  He doesn’t like a ton of praise and sometimes says he can’t do things that he can because he is afraid that he won’t do them correctly and doesn’t want to disappoint.  He has a crush on an older girl named Skylar and he gets really nervous around her (I witnessed this and it was adorable). His favorite subject is math.  When given a choice of stations, he usually goes to blocks.  While I know a lot about my son, this knowledge helps me tremendously as I do see some similarities at home and many differences.  For example, his teacher states he is a leader yet really listens to others and helps them plan.  He is empathetic and worries about others.  At home it is usually his way or a tantrum.    

Each week his teacher sets a personalized goal for him and works to show progress of his goal.  Even my 8-month-old daughter has a personalized goal each week.  This week she is working on “developing a 4-point stance” so that she can crawl.  I know that this is feasible for their teachers because they are given planning time to do their goals and they have 4-12 kids in a class. It makes me wonder if we changed the traditional classroom model how we could do this for mass amounts of students at the high school level. 

I was also impressed that the center has “learning targets” and uses a beginning, progressing, and successful system to report out where students are.  I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never seen an elementary report card but am thinking it probably looks a lot like this. 


So now that I’ve rambled about this, what does this mean?  To me it reinforces that we must communicate more to our parents.  A grade does not tell a story.   I want to know a lot about my child to help him/her develop.  All of this information helps me to know what I need to focus on at home.  It also makes me think about what type of school will be best for him, traditional learning or something like STEM.  I wish we were able to report out like this at the high school level but really wonder how possible this is what the amount of students we work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment