The Start...
During the past few weeks when I have been in classrooms I
have been focused on looking at how personalized learning is happening in our
building. I’ve been seeing some good
things, but know there is a ton of room for growth.
I was very excited to see that one of our Spanish teacher is
creating a true digital portfolio with his students. Right now he’s focused on a portfolio system
that will show how the student is able to use the language. This portfolio can then be used for job
interviews and possibly even college admissions or placement. I talked to him a little about expanding this
portfolio to include a focus on learner profiles and he thought this was a
great addition. I plan to keep working with
him to hopefully develop something powerful.
Proficiency-based progress is starting to happen at a very
basic level in some of our
classrooms. I recently visited a
classroom where kids are working at their own pace and moving through the class
based on proficiencies. It was
interesting talking with the students because many of them were frustrated with
the ownership that they had to take in the class. They didn’t like that the teacher wasn’t
telling them specifics and wasn’t doing much direct instruction. I think this class will be a great learning
opportunity for the students taking it.
I spent some time in a classroom where students were truly
engaged in a customized learning path for the unit. Each was involved in some heavy research that
he/she picked and was going to report out any way he/she wanted to. I am also seeing this in our Land and Water
class as students are customizing what they study and how they do so.
Again, there is some personalized learning happening in our
building and I will continue to work with teachers to see it grow.
No comments:
Post a Comment